Caring For Your Pregnant Horse
10 Tips For Caring For Your Pregnant Horse
1. Provide proper nutrition: Your mare needs a balanced diet to support her pregnancy and the growth of the foal. Consult with a veterinarian to create a customized feeding plan.
2. Monitor weight gain: Your mare’s weight should be monitored closely throughout her pregnancy. Excessive weight gain or loss can lead to complications.
3. Provide plenty of fresh water: Your mare needs access to clean, fresh water at all times.
4. Provide adequate space: Your mare needs plenty of room to move around, stretch, and lie down comfortably.
5. Provide regular exercise: Your mare needs regular exercise to maintain her physical and mental health. Consult with a veterinarian to determine an appropriate exercise plan.
6. Monitor for signs of labor: Keep an eye out for signs of impending labor, such as restlessness, sweating, and pawing.
7. Ensure proper vaccination: Vaccinating your mare against certain diseases is important to protect her and her foal.
8. Schedule regular veterinary check-ups: Regular check-ups with a veterinarian can help catch any potential problems early and ensure the health of your mare and foal.
9. Prepare for foaling: Prepare a clean, safe foaling area and have necessary supplies on hand, such as clean towels, iodine solution, and a foal resuscitator.
10. Seek professional help: If you notice any unusual signs or behaviors in your pregnant mare, seek professional help immediately. At Adobe Veterinary Center, we are here to provide neonatal care and support for you and your mare.