Pet Insurance...Where to start
Pet insurance sounds like a novel concept for any dog or cat owner. Our clients ask us frequently which pet insurance we recommend at Adobe. We do not recommend one insurance company over the other. Typically we offer inquiring individuals multiple insurance pamphelets and report the companies that our clients mention to us. In this article we will discuss what to look for when searching for pet insurance and the top 3 chosen pet insurance companies based on customer reviews, coverage, and benefits.
What to look for when choosing Pet Insurance:
- What do they cover? – This is the most important issue to research. Find out the specifics of each company’s coverage plans. Most will cover the following: surgeries, diagnostics, prescription medication, hospitalization, supplies, emergencies, genetic disorders (such as hip dysplasia or patellar luxation). These items vary greatly depending on the company. Some cover less than others and it is important to be aware of this.
- Monthly fees/Deductibles – Alot of insurance companies offer discounts that can be applied to your plan. Some of these discounts include: Being a member or an organization such as AAA, service dogs, volunteering for a shelter, or if you are in the Veterinary profession. Most companies’ monthly fees range from $20 to $50 for each animal. The deductibles range from $100 up to $1,000 but you will be able to choose your deductable.
What to expect with Pet Insurance
- Some will not cover: Pre-existing conditions, routine procedures (spay or neuter), wellness visits
- Reimbursement time – Most companies guarantee fast reimbursement times but not all follow through with this. Customer online reviews will be the best way to research this issue.
- Insurance forms: Most companies will have you provide your veterinarian with insurance forms that they fill. Those forms then need to be faxed to your insurance company so you can be reimbursed. *At Adobe, we do not keep your insurance forms on file, you must provide your insurance form for us at each visit.
Top 3 Pet Insurance Companies
The following companies are listed based on personal research form their direct websites and quotes. They are in no particular order.
- Pet Plan Insurance – They offer a wide coverage in their plans for a reasonable monthly price that varies depending on the age of your pet. They do cover exam fees.
- Healthy Paws – Receive the highest rating from customers reviews. Offers extensive coverage and reasonable monthly rates as well.
- Embrace Pet Insurance – Offers wellness plans for an additional fee that also helps pay for dental cleanings. Wide range of coverage and also covers exam fees.
There are many pet insurance companies and it will be beneficial to do your research before deciding on one company.
Click for a list of the top 10 Pet Insurance Companies and how they compare.